WikiSym 2011 Scholarships
|This page is kept as an archival reference. If you want to discuss a topic, please start a discussion on the community forum.|
Wikimedia UK offered two full scholarships to WikiSym 2011 in Mountain View, California on 3-5 October 2011. These were awarded to Dr Mark Graham, and Han-Teng Liao, both from the Oxford Internet Institute.
What the scholarship covers
The scholarship will cover:
- The registration fee
- Travel (by economy class flights)
- Accommodation (at the official conference hotel)
- Reasonable subsistence expenses
You will also get the opportunity to visit the Wikimedia Foundation offices in San Francisco.
In order to quality for a scholarship, you must be:
- based in the UK
- engaged in research about Wikimedia or other free content projects
- able to travel to the United States (including having a valid passport, and any appropriate visas)
- able to attend all days of the conference
- willing to write a publicly available report on the conference on the Wikimedia UK wiki
If you wish to apply for a WMUK scholarship, please send:
- Your name, email address and (if appropriate) affiliation
- A rationale for why we should support your attendance
- An outline of your Wikimedia/free content research (either past or proposed)
to michael.peelwikimedia.org.uk prior to the application deadline.
Scholarships will be awarded at the discretion of Wikimedia UK, and will be decided upon based on the submitted attendance rationale and research outline.
The deadline for applying for a scholarship was midnight BST at the end of Monday 5 September 2011.
If you have any questions, please contact michael.peelwikimedia.org.uk or (ideally) leave a message on the talk page.