Society of Biology Wikipedia workshop
|This page is kept as an archival reference. If you want to discuss a topic, please start a discussion on the community forum.|
A one-day, free, hands-on training event for Biology Online Media Group and other related organisations in improving Wikipedia articles on Biology, arranged in cooperation with Wikimedia UK. The aim was to train a group of people from within the Society so that in the longer term they can cascade their skills down to anyone else interested in improving the relevant Wikipedia articles. Most of the attendees were Comms people linked with Biology Online Media Group, but there may be some Biology scientists as well
Were asked to bring a laptop and register an account before the event.
All women, without previous experience of editing Wikipedia.
- User:Gin Buck
- User:Sara Ellis
Suggested topics and scheme followed on the day:
- 10am start and set up; Introduction of participants
- Wikipedia, Commons, WikiProjects
- Basics of Editing
- User space: user page; talk page; sandbox; edit summaries
- Practical work - 1-on-1 and small group work (beginners: sandbox // advanced: Biology articles)
- Plenary discussion - making and editing articles
- 12:30pm -1:30pm lunch
- Sources, referencing, WP:V
- WikiProject Biology
- Practical work - 1-on-1 and small group work (improving and creating Biology articles)
- Plenary discussion - What's next; Help!
- 4pm finish
Information for trainers 
- Expenses reimbursed for the trainers, lunch provided by the venue.
- The room equipment: a flip chart, projector and a wi-fi network. Capacity of about 20 people
- There is no parking
On the talk page.