Below is the Wikimedia UK monthly report for the period 1 to 31 December 2011. If you want to keep up with the chapter's activities as they happen, please subscribe to our blog, join our mailing list, and/or follow us on Twitter. If you have any questions or comments, please drop us a line on this report's talk page.
Program activities 
GLAM activities 
- See also the This Month in GLAM UK report for this month.
- A group from the UK attended GLAMcamp Amsterdam, 2-4 December
- Steve Virgin and Roger Bamkin talk on Derby Museum at TedX Bristol in September
- Talking about GLAM, Wikipedia and QRpedia in Amsterdam and Hamburg, Pigsonthewing
- 15th - Andy Mabbett talked at CentralTAG on 'Wikipedia, its GLAM collaborations, & how archaeologists can use it to disseminate their work to both specialist & popular audiences'
Expert outreach 
Martin Poulter met with academics and archivists in the area of psychology to discuss a range of events and other activities for Spring 2012 onwards. Martin also spoke at a social media lunch a the Institute of Physics in London, with representatives of various learned societies, to propose training events for their members. There is now an expert outreach section of the WMUK site, explaining what the chapter is doing and why scientists and scholars should get involved.
- 1st - Darren Logan speaking at the Uniprot consortium meeting on Wikipedia annotation and integration, Cambridge
Other activities 
UK press coverage (and coverage of UK projects & activities) 
Press coverage of Wikipedia in UK publications this month included:
- Roger Bamkin on ITalkFM, 5th Dec, Local Engish station in Spain
Bell Pottinger 
- Bell Pottinger faces claims it offered rogue regimes access to politicians, Guardian, 6 Dec
- Bell Pottinger, Google and Wikipedia, BBC News, 6 Dec
- Bosses shocked by 'unethical' and outdated tactics by Bell Pottinger, PRWeek, 6 Dec
- Wikipedia pulls Bell Pottinger-linked pages, Financial Times, 7 Dec
- Wikipedia founder attacks Bell Pottinger for 'ethical blindness', Independent, 8 Dec
- Wikipedia suspends accounts over Bell Pottinger claims, Telegraph, 8 Dec
- Wikipedia investigates PR firm Bell Pottinger's edits, BBC, 8 Dec
- The arms company, the oligarch and the ex-PM's sister-in-law: lobby firm's Wikipedia hit list, Independent, 9 Dec
- Wikipedia Starts Investigation of Bell Pottinger’s Edits, Suspends 10 Accounts, ITProPortal, 9 Dec
- Lord Bell defends agency after 'underhand, unethical and improper' Independent sting, PRWeek, 13 Dec
- Call for transparency as agencies slam Bell Pottinger's Wikipedia use, PRWeek, 15 Dec
- One Small Museum Making a Big Impact: An Interview with Roger Bamkin, MIDEA, 15 Dec
- QRpedia case study:The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, Museum Network Warwickshire, 21 Dec
- Generate QR Codes ... using QRpedia, Teck.in, Dec 25th
Visual Editor 
- Wikipedia testing new visual editor, Bristol Wireless, 14 Dec
- Wikipedia simplifies article editing for world+dog, The Register, 14 Dec
- Wikipedia co-founder threatens site 'strike' in protest over anti-piracy bill, Metro, 13 Dec
- Wikipedia co-founder threatens blackout over anti-piracy law, Telegraph, 13 Dec
- Wikipedia threatens blackout over privacy law, CNet, 13 Dec
- Wikipedia threatens blackout over anti-piracy bill, Tech Radar, 13 Dec
- Jimbo Wales ponders Wikipedia blackout, Register, 13 Dec
- Web giants appeal to US government to halt Stop Online Piracy Act, V3, 15 Dec
- Google, Amazon And Others May Go Dark Over SOPA, TechWeek Europe, 30 Dec
Science communication 
- Engage with Wikipedia to share scientific knowledge, SciDev.net, 22 Dec
- Monmouth chosen for new Wikipedia venture, Monmouthshire Beacon, 29 Dec
- Monmouthpedia: Wikipedia’s new project covering life in the Welsh town of Monmouth, TheNextWeb, 30 Dec
- Wikipedia project to cover life in Monmouth, BBC News, 30 Dec
- Community Wikipedia Scheme “Monmouthpedia” Launched, Gizmodo, 30 Dec
- Wikipedia vai criar a Monmouthpedia, Sol (Portuguese) 30 December
- Wikipedia analizará la vida en un pueblo británico, Baquía (Spanish) 30 December
- Wikipedia launches project dedicated to Monmouth, Digital Spy, 30 December
- Interview with Mrjohncummings and Victuallers, BBC Radio Wales 30 Dec (54 minutes in)
- Say it with me: “Monmouthpedia” Marketplace Tech Report 30th December
- Monmouthpedia: la Wikipedia de un pueblo, La Salle, 30 Dec
- Town chosen for Wikipedia venture, MyVillage, 30 Dec
- Coming Soon - Monmouthpedia!, Monmouthshire.gov.uk, 30 Dec
- Monmouth chosen to star in unique Wikipedia experiment "Western Mail", 31 December
- Wikipedia project dedicated to Welsh town, Monmouth, T3, 31 Dec
- Tweets about monmouthpedia
- Deadmau5 victim of death hoax, lf press, 13 Dec
Plus an old news item that was omitted from our previous reports 
- Museum's web challenge winners to be selected, This Is Derbyshire, 2 September
Upcoming activities in January 
- 30 - #OpenDataLDN 3: Wikimedia and New Collaborations, User:Ironholds presenting
- 28 - Liverpool meetup
- 26 - Roger Bamkin presenting "Wikipedia and Me", Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, Coventry, 12:30-14:00
- 24 - Board meeting
- 23 - Wikimedia and QR training for museums, Nuneaton
- 20 - Wikimedia and QR training for museums, Nuneaton
- 18 - Roger Bamkin presenting about QR codes at the Mobile Public Sector masterclass
- 17 - British Library Royal Manuscripts exhibition tour
- 15 - London meetup
- 15 - Girl Geek Wikipedia training event, Bristol
- 07 - 08 - OTRS workshop
- 03 - Board meeting
For events in February and onwards, please see Events.
Administrative activities 
Board activities 
News from the Chief Exec 
- For more information on Jon's activities this month, see News from the Office.
For more information about our participation in this year's fundraiser, see 2011 Fundraiser.
We received £277,109.09 in one-off donations this month, with 16,276 individual donors. The average donation amount was £17.03.
7,254 of these donors have had Gift Aid Declarations made and matched with their records. If anyone would like a full (but anonymised) csv file with more information, please get in touch with Richard and let him know your requirements.
|Payment Instrument||Number of Donations|
Office and Development Manager 
Richard Symonds was appointed as our new Office and Development Manager, starting in January 2012.
Events organiser 
This month, Wikimedia UK began advertising for an Events Organiser. They will support the work of the grassroots Wikimedian community in the UK and be responsible for the budgeting and resources for Wikimedia events in the UK. Applications close January 10 2012.