- What information we collect
Wikimedia UK collects and uses various personal information from donors that includes: amount donated, address, telephone number, donor comments and email address. Tax laws in the United Kingdom requires Wikimedia UK to keep certain information on file if we apply for Gift Aid tax relief.
- How we use that information
Wikimedia UK will never publish, sell, trade, rent or share names (unless released for publication), email or mail addresses, or telephone numbers of our donors. Wikimedia UK will use contact information (email, telephone number and address) of donors for these purposes only:
- Distribute receipts for donations
- Thank donors for their donation
- Inform donors about upcoming fundraising and other activities related to Wikimedia UK and other Wikimedia organisations
- Internal analysis and record keeping
- Reporting to relevant tax and charity authorities (these reports are not for public inspection)
- Contact donors about changes to this policy
However, properly anonymized donor information may be used for promotional and fundraising activities. We allow donors the option to have their name publicly associated with their donation unless the donor explicitly choses the "anonymous" field when donating online. In all other cases the default is for staff and volunteers to assume all donations are not to be publicly announced unless the donor explicitly indicates otherwise. Comments given in donor forms are published in public lists and may be used in promotional materials while comments sent to us via email, fax or telephone are kept strictly confidential.
Information relating to donors is processed in accordance with the Data Protection Acts
- Financial information
All access to donor financial information is strictly limited to staff and volunteers who need to process those data. No such data are given to any person, organization or group who does not need to access those data.
Wikimedia UK uses the services of PayPal as a payment processing service. We do not store nor have access to your credit card information, bank account numbers or other account data sent to PayPal. We have chosen to use these services due to their world class security and strong reputation.
Cheques, money orders and similar methods of payment sent to our office are handled by trusted volunteers and staff members.
Handling of these drafts is always performed in the presence of at least two members of staff. Copies of these drafts are kept under lock and key and The Foundation office has a monitored security system. However, we cannot guarantee the security of these drafts while they are in the postal system.
- Contact us
- Wikimedia UK
- 23 Cartwright Way
- Nottingham NG9 1RL
Donor Bill of Rights 
Wikimedia UK subscribes to the Donor Bill of Rights.
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization's mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization's governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization's most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
The text of this statement in its entirety was developed by the American Association of Fund-Raising Counsel (AAFRC), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), and National Society of Fund Raising Executives (NSFRE).