2011 UK community Census
|This page is kept as an archival reference. If you want to discuss a topic, please start a discussion on the community forum.|
Welcome to the 2011 UK community Census.
- If you know about the Wikimedia Projects, Foundation and Chapters Click here
- If don't know much about the wider Wikimedia movement that Wikipedia is part of please read on
The Wikimedia Movement 
- Wikimedia websites
The Wikimedia websites are the fifth largest group of websites in the world the most famous of those being Wikipedia. In addition to Wikipedia there is:
- Wikimedia Commons, a media repository containing more than 7,700,000 freely usable images, videos, and sound files
- Wikibooks, a project to create free textbooks
- Wiktionary, a multilingual dictionary and thesaurus
- Wikisource, a library of source texts containing more than 474,000 proofread pages in 19 languages
- Wikinews, a citizen news website
- Wikiversity, an interactive learning platform
- Wikiquote, a collection of quotations
- Wikispecies, a directory of life on Earth
- The global movement
- The sites are hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt non-profit organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
- The Wikimedia projects have an international scope and a global network of associated chapter organisations. There are currently 29 Wikimedia chapters one of which is Wikimedia UK.
- They support the Wikimedia Foundation, the Wikimedia community and the Wikimedia projects by collecting donations, organizing local events and projects and spreading the word of Wikimedia and Free Culture.
The important questions 
- Where are we?
The UK community is doing fantastically. Over the last year we have had editing events with the British Library and British Museum, student groups forming at Imperial College London and Oxford University, a fast growing chapter and meetups such as the London meetup going as strong as ever. The UK Wikimedia chapter is continually trying to discover how to create interesting events of high quality that we can help happen.
- Who are we?
The biggest problem is that we know so little about ourselves. Everyone should have the opportunity to take part and get involved in the things that excite them. The idea behind this is to get a better idea at who our on wiki neighbours our, bring together people from every area of every project.
To take sign the roll call use and fill in the following template:
- What projects are you most active on:
- Roughly how long have you been involved with Wikimedia