Talk:Website working group
Starting off 
- I'd like to move away from a MediaWiki interface and set up an independent domain for publicity and general contact purposes; think what the Germans have done. This interface is very good for throwing ideas around and coordination (and we could keep it for that purpose) but not very friendly for the public. I've provisionally pinged a UI guy and a coder for any design work. Thoughts? Ironholds 23:44, 28 April 2010 (UTC)
- Its important to remember that MW is a very versatile piece of kit. Its just like html or flash, so long as you know what your doing, you can make a site look really good. :) Seddon 12:38, 29 April 2010 (UTC)
- That's true. For instance, see http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/PSA_video-subtitled-gl. That's all done in MediaWiki. AGK 21:49, 30 April 2010 (UTC)
One consideration is that the standard design, whilst being 'boring', instantly affiliates us with Wikimedia projects in general and Wikipedia specifically. That's something that I view as very important, and something that shouldn't be lost unnecessarily (which, as great as wikimedia.de and wikimedia.fr are, I think has been lost there). It also makes it easy for Wikimedians to understand how to get involved - just hit the edit button. I do think we should move over to the Vector skin as soon as possible, though - given that the design is a lot more elegant than monobook, and will soon be the standard design of Wikipedia. What's really lacking is a decent style for the content within that design - e.g. the mainpage design could be a lot better.
However, I don't think that the wiki style works well for more focused events - e.g. the Britain Loves Wikipedia website probably shouldn't have been mediawiki-based. The same probably applies to http://donate.wikimedia.org.uk and various other sections that we could start having.
I'm definitely open to persuasion on all of the above, though. I'm sure that there are large flaws in my thinking, which is what has led WMDE and WMFR (and I know other chapters that are thinking it) to switch their websites away from MediaWiki. Mike Peel 22:22, 30 April 2010 (UTC)
High Quality chapter websites 
Wikimedia France 
- Aesthetically Professional
Wikimedia Indonesia 
- Fairly Professional looking Seddon 16:36, 30 April 2010 (UTC)
- Wiki based - Mediawiki Seddon 16:36, 30 April 2010 (UTC)