As of 14 November 2011, Wikimedia UK have an office in London:
- Postal address
- Wikimedia UK
- 4th Floor, Development House,
- 56-64 Leonard Street
- EC2A 4LT
- 020 7065 0990
- International +44 20 7065 0990
For the 2011 report into possible locations for a UK Office, see Office Report.
||Old Street||0.2 miles (<5 minutes' walk)|
|Moorgate||1 mile (~8 minutes' walk)|
The closest tube station is Old Street, which is on the Northern Line, two stops from King's Cross/St Pancras.
At Old Street tube station, follow signs to Exit 4 (or 3 if you need a ramp), and then continue South (on City Road, heading away from the roundabout) for less than a minute on foot to get to Leonard Street and then east on Leonard Street (first left after Sainsbury's shop) for just over 100 meters. Development House is on the corner with Paul Street.
If you are arriving at Heathrow airport, then take the Piccadilly underground service to King's Cross, where you should change to Northern Line heading south to Old Street or you can take the Heathrow Link (more expensive than the underground but faster) or the Heathrow Express (even more expensive and even faster) to Paddington and then the Hammersmith and City line or the Circle line from Paddington to Moorgate.
From Stanstead Airport trains come to Liverpool Street station which is about 15 minutes walk from the office or you can take the 135 bus to Ravey St and walk from there.
From Gatwick Airport the trains run to Victoria and to London Bridge/St Pancras. Get a train to London Bridge and the Northern Line from there to Old St station.
In addition, there is a Barclays Cycle Hire station (known locally as "Boris Bikes") just outside the building ("Leonard Circus, Shoreditch"). The service requires a credit/debit card payment of £1 for 24 hours' access (for casual users), after which you borrow a bike for up to 30 minutes at no extra cost. The office is within viable walking or cycling distance (<5 miles) of all main line railway termini and the majority of central London. For motorists, limited car parking is available in the vicinity of the office; it should be noted that not only is Leonard Street within the congestion charge zone, but also that many businesses in the vicinty have no parking facilities for either staff or visitors. Public transport may be a better option than driving.
Opening hours 
Development House is open 09:00-17:00 Monday-Friday. We have a small staff so please check before visiting to avoid disappointment.
For events 
Development house has a number of facilities which Wikimedia UK has access to, although some require booking:
- 4 meeting rooms, all with WiFi.
- Breakout spaces (with a lounge area and three desktop computers which run Linux)
- A games room (with a pool table)
For visitors 
We have several laptops available in the office for visitors to use, including a Macbook, a Chromebook and a few laptops with Windows 7. We also have monitors (VGA/DVI/HDMI), keyboards and mice (USB) for visitors to plug their own laptop into. WiFi is also available.
Nearby accommodation 
- This list is incomplete - please add recommendations below.
- Tavistock Hotel near London Euston (3 stops from Old Street). Flat, reasonable rate (£75.00 Single / £99.00 Double inc VAT & breakfast, as of July 2012).
- Holiday Inn Express London City, on Old Street is close to the office, and sometimes has reasonable rates
- Travelodge London Central Moorgate, on City Road not far from the office; rates vary but can be reasonable
- Thistle City Barbican, just under a mile from the office; can have good rates if booked in advance
- Nearby hotels on hotels.com
Catering arrangements 
Wikimedia UK has access to a kitchenette and has its own supplies of instant coffee, tea bags and sugar (all Fairtrade). On site there are also a couple of vending machines which supply snacks and instant hot drinks. In the past Wikimedia UK has bought in lunches for events held at the office.
Nearby eating 
Cafés and fast food outlets 
Near the the office there are several sandwich bar-type places including:
- Pret a Manger (at the end of the road)
- Several local delicatessens with a few minutes' walk, including the Castle Sandwich Bar, the staff's café of choice!
There are a couple of supermarkets (including a Sainsbury's) and lots of kebab shops/fish and chip shops nearby, too.
Our standard restaurant is the Hoxton Furnace, a pleasant but not overly expensive Italian restaurant which does a range of pizzas and pastas. It's close to our office, close to a very good pub, and close to the local hotels. We also use The Yard from time to time - it's a little bigger.